I warned him that the instructions said not to hold it. I was insistent that he did not. He listened to me and put it in a knothole in the picnic table. He lit it up and the whole candle exploded like s stick of dynamite. It is very likely that I saved his hand that day.
I would also like to take the opportunity to tell you how much better roman candles were back in the 70s. They were powerful enough to shoot high up in the air. Nowadays they spurt out a wimpy spark that lands just a few feet away from you. Maybe there were other incidents where people’s hands got blown off so they made them less powerful.