After doing some searching online I found a replacement unit for $525 at rvcoolingunit.com. I sent emails to three different companies and the first to respond got my business. It was David Force and right away he sent me a PDF file with installation instructions. Now that’s customer service!
A few days later my replacement cooling unit arrived. My Motorhome was in the shop for a tune-up and brake work so it sat on my living room floor for two weeks. I got the RV back Friday and immediately started work.
It took a while to clean up the fridge cabinet and do some wood repairs. The old cooling unit came off the fridge fairly easily. I cleaned up the back of the fridge and was worn out for the day.
The next day I transferred all the necessary hardware from the old unit to the new one and installed it. A little hard for one person to do by himself. Fortunately I’m just that good. I had to use a longer screw in one of the coils to help me align the screw holes.
I added a few computer fans to the back to aid in cooling as I saw on the internet then put the fridge back in the cabinet. I turned it on in electric mode and was elated to find it worked! Damn I’m good!!
I had damaged the propane line when I took the unit out and it seems to be leaking. I’m putting that project on hold a few days while I work on the roof. I’ll have to use some soapy water to see where the leak is. I can hear hissing but can’t narrow it down without the soap bubbles giving it away. Later this week.
It was quite a job. Not something a regular person should try. It’s a good thing I’m not regular.
I learned a lot about the magic of ammonia cooling. It’s an amazing process working without any moving parts. The guy who invented it has my respect.