Last year I bought a 1500w Xantrex inverter for my RV. At most I expected to run my microwave. I was testing it out when POP! The power went out. This inverter has a surge current rating of 2000W and microwaves don’t use that much power. Still. It couldn’t handle it. I was sad. I expected better from Xantrex.
Not knowing what to do I just let it be. This year I decided I would try some exploratory surgery and see what happened. What could I hurt? It was already dead. Maybe it was just a fuse or something.
Taking the circuit board out would be difficult so I hoped that would not be necessary. There were a bunch of fuses which I was getting ready to test first.
I noticed right away that a capacitor had completely blown up. There were cap guts all over. It seemed unlikely that JUST replacing this capacitor would fix the whole thing but what the heck. I looked through my parts bins and found an exact replacement. A 100 uF electrolytic. It was used and had short leads but it was on hand.
The remaining plates sticking up wouldn’t hold solder so I had to remove the rubber base and trim down the plates to the leads. I still didn’t want to take out the whole circuit board so I decided to just solder onto the existing topside leads.
It isn’t pretty but it will be perfectly fine if it works. No big loss if not.
I buttoned it back up and connected it to my battery. No FAULT light! Promising! I grabbed a nearby fan and plugged it in to the 120V outlet. The fan spun to life! SUCCESS!!!!! I just saved myself a few hundred bucks buying a new inverter.
Damn I’m awesome! You would think women would be all over me. If only they knew.