I’m a big fan of Subway sandwiches. They are simple and easy and can be a good source of healthy nutrition for Heart Disease patients like me.
A few years ago I heard that Subway was trying a Veggie Patty meat alternative in California. It looks like it finally made its way to the rest of us.
I’m always on the lookout for a good low Saturated Fat meal so I was initially intrigued.
The question is, “Is it safe for me?” Let’s look at the specifications:
- Although the Veggie Patty IS low in Saturated Fat at 1g, I was hoping for Zero.
- The Total Fat is actually higher than all the other Fresh Fit sandwiches. That’s not necessarily bad since that includes Monounsaturated and Polyunsaturated which may be good for you.
- It has 70 Calories from fat compared to 20-45 for the other ‘wiches.
- Cholesterol content is Lower but not the zero you would expect.
- Sodium is higher. That’s bad for your blood pressure. I guess they are trying to make it more palatable.
- Protein content is actually higher. I believe it contains beans.
- It has MORE calories and carbs than the actual meat sandwiches.
Technically, the Veggie Patty’s score for Heart Disease Safety is, “Meh.” It’s not really “better” for you than a turkey sandwich or a Veggie Delight which is my usual choice. I think it is intended more for Liberals than an alternative for Heart Health but it’s not “Bad for you” like a Philly Cheesesteak with bacon.
So how does it taste? Not being overwhelmed with it’s specifications I wasn’t really interested but I’m taking one for the team and giving it a try just for you.
Not bad! I read a review the other day that said that it didn’t really have a “Taste” and they were pretty much right. I get my sandwiches with Everything on them so I didn’t really Taste the patty as much as one might if they just got the patty on bread. That’s fine. It added a good texture to my usual Veggie Delite and the warmth was nice too since they heat it up in the oven. It was also quite filling which the Veggie Delight is not.
I give it a thumbs-up! I kind of liked it and would definitely have it again. If a Veggie Delite doesn’t work for you and you absolutely HAVE to have something like meat then the Veggie Patty is a good choice in my book. Make it so!