A co-worker gave me an Echo SRM-210 Weed whacker. He had used too little oil in the gasoline and the engine had seized up due to lack of lubrication.
He bought a new one but knew I could fix things so he asked me if I wanted it. I didn’t need or want it but I’ve always been interested in freeing a seized engine so I took it as a educational project.
It sat in my garage untouched for almost a year until recently when I bought some land out in the country. I’m still waiting for the closing on the deal but when the time comes, there is a lot of brush that is going to need to be cleared. Searching the internet on means to clear land I came across using a weed wacker with a brush cutting blade. BINGO! I have just the thing in my garage!
When I got home from work, I Youtubed freeing seized weed eater and found a video showing how it is done.
I removed the spark plug and filled the cylinder with some air tool oil that I happened to have on hand and let it sit for a few days until I would have time on the weekend. When Saturday finally came, I emptied the oil from the cylinder and took off the string started unit. I clamped on some vice grips and expected to have to torque on it pretty good but it almost instantly freed the piston.
No Way!!! I put the string starter back on and it pulled freely. I reinstalled the spark plug and put some gas/oil mixture in the tank. After a few pulls, it started!
That just saved me $219 or more for a new unit. I immediately ordered a brush cutting blade kit for $44.00. I’m all set now!
Providence strikes once again. Things I need automatically come to me. Sometimes before I need them. My luck is amazing!